When you see how easy it is to make silky smooth cake batter without an electric mixer, you’ll kick yourself for worrying about not having one.
Let me warn you now – there’s some “arm work” involved. Your arms may get tired from constantly stirring, you may develop bulging biceps, but, it will all be worth it :).
So, how do we get cake batter smooth without a mixer?
Melted Butter + Other Ingredients + Stirring = Smooth Cake Batter
The trick is melting the butter!
Sure you may have your other liquids for the cake – eggs, milk, essence, things like that, but melted butter makes the cake – get it?
Something about cooled melted butter getting in there with your sugar in the early mixing stages, leads to a smoother consistency as you add everything else.
-> The Process <-
Difficulty Level: Medium
- Step 1: Gather all ingredients required for the cake recipe you’re using.
- Step 2: Melt butter and let cool to room temperature. (Try this method for melting butter.)
- Step 3: Mix butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Step 4: Add egg and mix.
- Step 5: Add other ingredients as your cake recipe requires.
- Step 6: Stir and stir as though your cake’s fluffiness depends on it. Cause it does.
- Step 7: Pour into cake pan and follow recipe instructions.
I used this method for my Not-A-Brick Coffee Cake recipe (available February 15) and loved the fluffy results. It was surprising too as my cakes usually come out much heavier, so I had to name the recipe to suit ^_^.
Blenders work too…
You can get an even creamier texture by melting and cooling the butter, then using a blender to blend all the wet ingredients for your recipe. I’ll share how sometime in the new year ^_^.
Would you add this technique to your cake batter line-up?
Comment below :).