Frozen foods come in pretty handy. Whether you’ve a busy lifestyle or not so much, they allow us to take a break from cooking from scratch.
Frozen meals used to consist of old-school TV dinner trays compartmentalised according to food groups. Nowadays they’re tons of options to choose from. From ready-made meat dishes, to vegan dreams, and eclectic mixes featuring all cuisines, manufacturers have upped the frozen meals’ game.
Just cause all the work is done for you, doesn’t mean you can’t take your frozen meals a step further. This little hack will have you creating frozen meals that everyone will think are from scratch.
So how do we elevate frozen meals so they seem homemade?
-> Frozen Meal + Fresh Ingredients/Additional Ingredients = Elevated Frozen Meals <-
By modifying your frozen dishes with complimentary sides, or adding new seasonings and/or fresh ingredients, your meal goes from frozen meal meh, to homemade yums!
-> The Process <-
Difficulty level: Super Easy
- Step 1: Select a frozen meal.
- Optional Step: I prefer to leave the frozen meal in the fridge for a few hours so its already thawed when I’m ready to use it. This cuts down cooking time and also eliminates the need to use a microwave.
- Step 2: If it’s meat, consider a side dish (example: a roasted vegetable salad recipe, pasta and sauce, etc). For an all-in-one frozen meal, consider adding more vegetables, or spices/herbs complimentary to the dish. Example: You can add cracked black pepper and thyme to a jasmine rice dish.
- Step 3: Prepare and serve.
- Note: Preparation will vary depending on what you’re making. For some you’ll be able to cook the frozen meal and new additions together, and for others you’ll have to cook them separately, then combine.
As shown above, you can combine two or more frozen meals for an elevated feast. For this one I added bacon and bits of leftover baked chicken to the ribs, and more cream and spices to the pasta.
Additional tip: Baking some frozen meals (even if they suggest stove top frying), can also bring out the flavours in the meal better.
Do you modify frozen meals? What’s your secret?
Comment below :).