We dash to the store for almost everything, and don’t always think about other ways to get what we want. But what if there’s a bacon bits emergency and stores are closed? No need to bite your nails in terror, you won’t even need a food processor for this quick hack.
Bacon bits are great for soups, stews, salads, cupcakes, and pretty much anything you want to add a little bacon, salty crunch to. They’re easy to make even without a food processor, and give a little twist of flavour to the blandest meals.
So how do we make homemade bacon bits?
-> Slice Vertically Across Bacon Rashers + Fry Until Crispy = Bacon Bits <-
When I moved to England, I’d buy the bits for making soups and stews. However, nowadays when I need a quick fix to throw into a pot, I’ll use this method for crispy, bacon bits :).
-> The Process <-
Difficulty Level: Super Easy
- Step 1: Get bacon rashers. (Thickness is dependent on your taste. I like them thin and fatty ^_^.)
- Step 2: Slice vertically across the rashers until you reach the end. The size of your bits are up to you. My slices are usually less than 1/2 inch apart.
- Step 3: Separate with your hands, or utensil (just break them apart a bit).
- Step 4: Put a frying pan on high heat. A pot can work as well, but monitor as the bacon bits may take a little longer to get crispy.
- Optional step: You don’t have to add oil, but I add a little (1 tablespoon). I also suggest adding a little oil/spray if your frying pan isn’t non-stick.
- Step 5: When the pan is hot, put the rashers in.
- Step 6: Fry to your desired crispness, remove and put on a plate with paper towels to get rid of the excess oil.
- Step 7: Use when ready as you can store in the fridge or freeze your bits for later use.
Just like store-bought bacon bits, you can use your homemade version in all kinds of recipes. I used the ones pictured here in leftover vegetable soup. For more cool ideas, Yummly has great recipes for utilising bacon bits’ potential :).
Additional Tip: Enjoy other bacon bits’ versions for vegetarians and vegans as pictured below.
Which Recipes Do You Go Bacon Bits’ Crazy With?
Comment below :).